Saturday, November 11, 2023

Snook Scamper

On Nov 4th, I had the opportunity to participate in an all-day 5k event. Our friends, the Snooks, hosted a charity fundraiser to support Love Inc of Greater Hershey. We’ve known the Snooks for over ten years as their middle girl, Charlotte, was in Luke’s preschool class, and now they’re part of our adult Sunday school class, Connections, at Grace UMC. 

I helped recruit a few other runners and gathered sponsorships for myself. While I initially had thought about doing them all, (one 5k every hour on the hour x 12) once fall arrived and I realized how little I’d run over summer, I knew that was an unrealistic and possibly dangerous goal. So, I set my sights on running 3 and walking 3, hoping this could be a manageable “long day” in my training plan. 

The day ended up being one of perfect weather. I think it was 18 people who started the day, several of us completed six, and six men ended up doing all 12.  It honestly was an amazing day! We already knew most of the people there but got to know them much better and met a few endurance athletes who were super cool to spend time peppering for advice and getting to know. 

During the first one we all ran conservatively together around 10-11 minute pace. My completion goal was lower than most of the group, so they  continued their conservative approach. I ended up near the front of number two as a result. And then for number three, me and a guy named Athan tried for a quick one, this was miles 6-9 and I haven’t run more than 7 all year, and although I got a terrible side stitch, I finished that one in just over 26 minutes! I ran one more and then walked two (for a total of 18 miles) and by then felt lots of joint pains and figured it was best to stop. 

I stayed the afternoon cheering my friends on. Even better, the kids began to join in. Almost everyone running was a parent and many of us had school aged kids who came to cheer us on. Lukas had a football game that morning and so Mike and the boys came to cheer several times, from 8-9, 11-3 and 5-7. During several afternoon races, kids ages 7-14 joined in. Lukas ran one, with his buddy Joey and Charlotte and some of the other girls in their grade. Him and Joey finished in front in about 26 minutes, Luke’s first ever timed 5k. Later in the afternoon, Nick ran with a friend Quinn and his mom. Then the boys headed to lacrosse while the runners went on. Then Lukas ran the last 5k of the day when he returned, as did his buddy Joey who had run one more as well! Neither of them had ever run so far! 

It was an amazing day of community, comraderie, and athleticism. We all had so much fun! I’m so thankful for the opportunity to be part of this group and share in such a special day. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1aAmvaYiZEg9nGnTzhnqWowCopU-BNp1xhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1EHbNx4xC_9EOFOggfnGyRsJenjqZUyf7https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1O0XCItAlGSceCZr9CRIJisqnEZtSwoephttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1qu51bS-OnIUs5YXSjGt59nSj049YIJFyhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1T6v--PdoU-YZ3YPsvONuo7Es_YCR_mjRhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=119V3n1KEcmRZbNs7aGtmZwIRCDmZQfRyhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1A2Qgora93b5MFafd687uxb2RaHTbmZyL
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1XfJyzhT7JSIRlCWwsBfICknOChpK_5ty
Woohoo!! So proud! 

1 comment: