Thursday, March 4, 2021

Ordinary Time

After returning from Florida, the focus at our house really became preparing for Mom to return to work. There were many appointments to squeeze in at the last minute but we also tried to be sure and have some fun too! During this last month, Jacob was star of the week at preschool!  Mom and Lukas went on an ice-skating date which was awesomely fun and definitely on our list to do again, more often next year.  Valentine's day also came and went, and although it's never been a holiday we've celebrated in the past, this year it seemed like it would be fun to get a special holiday take-out from Mangia Mangia and enjoy dinner with the kids.  As you can see, the dressed up and set some mood lighting for Momma too which was a real treat!!! 









On a random Saturday, big brother Lukas built a huge crazy-fort over the railings for the little guys.  I have been telling him lately that he has a special gift, it's this big-hearted patience where (when he wants to) he doesn't let his brothers get under his skin and he just focuses on helping them have fun and be happy. It's a beautiful thing to watch unfold and a trait I love seeing develop in him!





what's raising 4-boys without some butts in the picture 

Notice Lukas' solution to loud brothers (2 sets of headphones to cancel the noise while he reads) 


We had a long-jump competition and this is just one of several dozen photos :) 


And we also got the chance to see Grayson, Matt and Jennie again!  





One last (fingers crossed!!!?!?!?) snow pic for the year :) 

Our church reopened!  We are so excited to be back.  They have a really strict COVID protocol so we feel super comfortable it's very safe.  Certainly safer than the grocery store that's for sure!!  At any rate, here are our first and second times taking Jayden to church which felt very special and he did great. It is hard to have inside voices while wearing a mask but he's a quick learner and we have lots of assistant parents to help remind him... oh wait that makes more noise.  Oh well, we are glad to be back and the other people are so far away they probably can't hear us anyway!! 



We've always been big on gratefulness with the kids but for Lent we're trying something new which is: catching someone doing something kind. And "filling our buckets" by recognizing it.  It's been fun and cute. 

Mike, in one of his many super-dad moments made homemade pasta from scratch with the boys.  They've done this once before and really enjoyed it.  We are all pasta-lovers so it works out pretty well all the way around.  




Lukas doing a dramatic reading of "don't push the button" for his brothers who adore it, of course.  Nicholas is also starting to read level 1 books it is just so amazing.  I cannot wait to watch the world open up for him in this way, I think he is really going to enjoy it so much!  

I've now been back to work for about 2 weeks and things are going fine.  The boys transitioned pretty seamlessly honestly.  They are so resilient.  I think Jess and I were both worried that Jayden would have trouble respecting the office door boundaries but so far he's been no worse than any of the other boys (or dogs) and I don't mind when they pop in every so often.  It is one of the perks of working from home.  

From a work-life juggle standpoint my going back to work has definitely increased the difficulty for Mike and I, and we are working to rebalance, as we continue to learn how to parent in this new family of ours. Sometimes it's harder than others, but we know it's worth it and we never expected it to be easy.  There's a lot to continue to learn and we are growing. And, honestly I think that's when I'm happiest, when I'm growing into a better version of myself, closer to the version God intended me to be.  Some days it feels like two steps back and one step forward but I know that's OK!  We will just keep moving! 

One thing is for sure - I'm beyond grateful that I've got Michael to go through all of this with.  He's our rock, and he's our cheerleader.  When I'm exhausted, he's still got energy, and helps us all stay on track.  Thank God for such a perfect partner!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment