Lukas got his first haircut! Yes, he had a rat-tail, and it had to go.
____________________________________________
The Estevez Family Reunion 2012
______________________________________________
Debi did a great job again this year coordinating a fun event. Lukas met a lot of his extended family, and they all loved him. Fun was had by all!
Another really neat thing from the Reunion was this box of pictures
So this picture (far right) is of my Great-Grandmother Marina Estevez. She was born in 1899 in Spain and traveled to Cuba and then the United States. Married when she was 13, she sailed the Atlantic with small chlidren and her and Daniel settled initially in NYC. Ultimately, they moved to Southern Maryland when my Grandfather, George, was still a child. I remember a lot about Grandma Marina, but for most of my life she was losing her memory and we visited her in the nursing home. At that stage of her life she seemed to have forgotten English, her second language, and would speak to us in Spanish even though we didn't speak it. This is when I started to question why the heritage hadn't been passed down. I realized this weekend when telling my Mom, that the story of the day she died is very unique for me. It was the first cross country race of the season and I was in 10th grade. She died overnight and I remember Dad getting the call and telling me to "win it for Grandma". And, so I did. We ran that day at Great Mills, which has a beautiful wooded course, and I seriously do not remember very many other races from High School like I do that one. I remember hearing Grandma and dreaming of her out among the trees. And maybe that's why I still feel so close to her. Then we visited at Ellis Island several years later and that experience also helped me to begin appreciating the chance her and Daniel took with their young family, emigrating to the USA. Obvioulsy, we're so thankful that they were so brave. And also so thankful to Debi for helping to preserve this family history of ours... I also have to wonder how they tolerated toddlers on two transatlantic trips!?!
----------------------------------------
!!PUPPIES!!
So Ginger is Ruby's half sister and Valerie has Ginger. She just had her second litter, of 11 pups. They are all doing great, and we took two visits this weekend. As with everything tiny, Lukas loved them and used a high squeaky voice to tell us about that :)!
------------------------------------------------
And... the final leg of our Tour....
Pittsburgh!
Mike has been training with Cardiac MRI this month and Lukas and I have been missing him. He's been home on weekends and face-timing on the Iphone but it isn't the same. So, he planned a fun day of quality family time for our visit and we went to the Children's Museum. If you haven't been and are in the area, we highly recommend it!
| Ready... Set... Go! |
| The Incline |
| At the Museum, "The Garage" |
| Giant bubbles/balls! |
----------------------------------------------
And just a few farm pics to end it!

No comments:
Post a Comment