Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Mysterious Ways

They say, you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Monday, November 23rd:  I stayed up late catching up this blog with Halloween and Luke’s birthday posts and then finished a blog I’d begun on October 28th. As usual, when I’m in the mood to write, the words flowed quickly, a summation of all that's been in the back of my mind for the past few days and weeks.  It was an emotional catharsis of sorts.   

Tuesday, November 24: Mike and I had this text exchange with Agena, Jayden’s social worker and as usual, we’re thankful for the information even if it wasn’t the news we hoped to hear: 


Next, I apologized for seeming pushy or disrespectful and she assured me that wasn’t the case. 


We’d decided on a low-key, immediate family only thanksgiving which turned out down right perfect and I blogged again, a little more upbeat. In my quest for thankfulness I really was enjoying the rest that seemed to have been ordered by God.


Our sites were firmly set on Monday or Tuesday, at the earliest for getting news on Jayden.  


Friday, November 27: I hosted huddles for work but was off otherwise and we were having a totally free form day.


Jacob and I had been meaning to pick up the litter that his beloved construction men had left behind in our neighborhood, since Jacob didn’t get to participate in the Deodate road cleanup.  We headed out with a bag, gloves and the wagon with the bigger boys on bike for a cleanup.  


There was a lot of trash by the dirt mound and quickly I found myself the only one picking up trash, then noticing a buzz in my pocket.  I’d missed a call and text from Mike.  If God’s goal had been to get me when I was fully distracted, he accomplished his mission.  (I am reminded of that time, six-and-a-half years ago, I think it was July 2016 when I was on Palm Coast walking oceanside without my phone when I missed another call from Mike, the one where Nancy called to tell us a birthmother Christy had chosen us. I imagine God smiling up there.)

Which I did, and he conferenced me in with Agena.


We are approved. 


Immediately, Lukas heard my “Eek!!,” instantly asking, “Jayden!?,” with an excited smile.  The Baker boys, the first to know.  Planning commenced as I meandered picking up trash.


After that call, I called Patricia who was noticeably upset but also happy and seeming resolved. I can’t imagine the emotions she must be experiencing right now. She said we could plan whatever worked for us and that they were totally flexible.  I’m thankful they had thanksgiving. I think she is too.


Eventually, I convinced the boys to head home, leaving our trash cleanup incomplete. For the afternoon, I coordinated work for my leave of absence!! It was fun and thankfully I had pretty well prepared so it was rather easy.  


When Mike got home we FaceTimed our families who were surprised and elated.  Then we found flights, called and confirmed with Patricia and Bob that those were ok and got them booked for the very next day.


We had just FaceTimed with our families for Thanksgiving but this was obviously too exciting not to share, so we called them quick again and the excitement in their eyes was a tremendous gift.


I'm overwhelmed with thankfulness for God's good gifts and His most mysterious ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment