Lately we’ve really gotten into a new routine. For me, it’s one highly focused on work requiring very little movement throughout the day and mostly typing documents and dialing in and out of various video group meetings.
Many WellSpan leaders are working in a physical command center but even more are working remote full time which is the path I’ve chosen for the past 3 weeks. As time has passed, it’s gotten much easier to stay connected and feel engaged despite the distance and not actually being together. Here's an article about our command center if you want to learn more.
To make matters even more bumpy, I’ve gotten a new boss this week, he was recruited from across the country a few months ago and we never expected to have this crazy turn in the path. We’ve met once and he’s already asking many questions. Overall I think I like him, although adjusting to yet another change while on this rollercoaster wouldn’t have been my choice.
This work from home life is made possible, as is regular work, by our full-time nanny, Aunt Jess. What made this week even more unique and emotional than usual though, was that we were supposed to leave for Spring Break on Wednesday. We had planned a trip to California so that the boys could meet Nick's younger biological brother and so that Nick could meet his biological grandparents and Aunts. We were going to spend about 3 days in their part of the state and then head out to San Diego for Easter, we had a sunrise service on the pacific ocean picked out and planned to see my cousin Chris, and Aunt Tina and their family. But a few weeks ago it became apparent that we needed to cancel for a number of reasons (travel ban from Mike's work, impracticality of leaving for my work, not to mention the general danger of air travel right now and eventually the "stay" orders that were put into place after we cancelled.) In an effort to not give and then take away, we didn't want to withdraw the vacation we'd promised to Aunt Jess, so Mike continued with his vacation days and was a stay-at-home parent for the rest of the week.
I took a little bit longer for breakfast and lunch but still had to stay focused in our bedroom-turned-office all day everyday. The boys had a blast with daddy at home all day and we both learned that even when he spends all day with them, the begging for him to play football and wii at night doesn't drop off even a little bit.
On Saturday, when I got a reprieve from working the sadness over missing the trip really hit me. As has been true with most of this, for the kids this was but a blip on their radar. But for us it feels more heavy with uncertainty and missing out.
Timelines are never within our control; we learned that long ago. Waiting, day by day, we don't feel anxious or sad like we did with our first adoption, but we do have a sense of longing which was exacerbated this Easter weekend.
Thankfully, I've been lifted by prayer, good old fun in the sun, hard work and a dedicated and attentive partner. Mike sent me to the orchard store and although I took two work calls during the errand and started my run on the Conewago trail with a phone in hand looking at Teams talking to a colleague, I did get to run and the time in the sun really brightened my mood. When I got home, Mike and the boys were busy in the garden moving dirt, and really there's nothing I like more than watching my boys work! ;) (hehe, got that from my momma and Aunt Dory!!). But really, I had a lot of fun working with them too (and we were all sore for days.)
On Easter Sunday, after church a hike on some nearby trails and a few family FaceTimes, we moved more dirt and shook off more stress, ready to head into another week.
Here are the best photos from the weekend, and I'll start with this super cute one from church on tv where Nicholas kept saying he saw his buddy Elliott run through the background when his parents were signing one of the hymns, it was too funny!
I took a little bit longer for breakfast and lunch but still had to stay focused in our bedroom-turned-office all day everyday. The boys had a blast with daddy at home all day and we both learned that even when he spends all day with them, the begging for him to play football and wii at night doesn't drop off even a little bit.
On Saturday, when I got a reprieve from working the sadness over missing the trip really hit me. As has been true with most of this, for the kids this was but a blip on their radar. But for us it feels more heavy with uncertainty and missing out.
Timelines are never within our control; we learned that long ago. Waiting, day by day, we don't feel anxious or sad like we did with our first adoption, but we do have a sense of longing which was exacerbated this Easter weekend.
Thankfully, I've been lifted by prayer, good old fun in the sun, hard work and a dedicated and attentive partner. Mike sent me to the orchard store and although I took two work calls during the errand and started my run on the Conewago trail with a phone in hand looking at Teams talking to a colleague, I did get to run and the time in the sun really brightened my mood. When I got home, Mike and the boys were busy in the garden moving dirt, and really there's nothing I like more than watching my boys work! ;) (hehe, got that from my momma and Aunt Dory!!). But really, I had a lot of fun working with them too (and we were all sore for days.)
On Easter Sunday, after church a hike on some nearby trails and a few family FaceTimes, we moved more dirt and shook off more stress, ready to head into another week.
Here are the best photos from the weekend, and I'll start with this super cute one from church on tv where Nicholas kept saying he saw his buddy Elliott run through the background when his parents were signing one of the hymns, it was too funny!
Handsomeness all around me!!!
Happy Easter!!







No comments:
Post a Comment