Saturday, February 14, 2015

When you're having fun...

Time sure flies.  I cannot believe I have to go back to work tomorrow (Saturday, Feb 14)! 
What a wonderful time it has been though.  I have been certain (in my own mind and life) that it has been more fun the second time around.  I have a few hypotheses about why I feel this may be true.  First of all, it's a lot less scary.  Second, for me I don't have to worry about nursing which was kind of a chore for me the first time around and I honestly don't miss it.  Third, I guess we worked really hard for it this time, so I think I'm being more deliberate about savoring it.  I know what it feels like to feel that longing and I'm so thankful to not feel that way anymore... I'm not taking it for granted!  And fourth and probably the most significant reason - this time around there are three people who have fallen into unconditional love.  The first time around there were just two of us (Mike and I) and this time, there is Lukas who also adores his brother.  It's so precious to watch, I can't even put it into words!!  Yesterday (now of course this isn't how it is all the time but anyways,) Nicholas was crying and I look across the kitchen to Lukas signing "Jesus loves me" and "Twinkle Twinkle" to cheer him up.  Gotta love it.

It seems like both boys have been changing everyday too! 

Here are some of the things Lukas has been up to lately.  He's climbing, like usual.  Cleaning and helping with chores more than ever.  And we have also finally made a breakthrough with his eating - he has willfully eaten teriyaki chicken, salmon and homemade healthy chicken tenders!!

 
Here Lukas and Daddy are working on replacing the faucet in Luke's bathroom.  He couldn't operate the old one and since he's doing many things more independently, we wanted him to be able to pull the water handle up!  As usual, Lukas also wanted to help Dad with the project. 

He has also started Gymnastics at Hershey Gymnastics Center.  I know these pictures aren't very good - since they're zoomed from the iPhone the resolution is low.  I am so excited though that he is doing gymnastics.  He is loving it.  I am definitely not one of those parents who wants their kids in six activities before they're six.  I think some of my friends are crazy for running their little toddlers around as much as they do.  But I have been hoping to harness some of Luke's energy into a constructive sport.  -Especially since we can't bike or skate in this awful winter that seems like it will never end.-  And, since he does head stands around the house pretty frequently, I thought gymnastics might be the place to start.  Also, since it's an individual sport I thought he might thrive better than in a team situation where his shyness might interfere more (I've never done a team sport myself; other than the 4x800!).  Anyways, it seems to be working out great.  He is actually pretty good at most of the things she asks him to do, he is very obedient and a great listener.  He has fun and gets pretty tired too!  All in all, we are both pretty happy with it!!!
 
Here, Lukas is in the center with a bright yellow shirt on, about to do a cartwheel. Then, swinging his legs back and forth. 

Bright orange shirt on with Coach Missy helping him do a forward roll on the balance beam!

We have also been practicing with our numbers and letters quite a bit.  He really wants to learn to spell which is pretty neat.  Although I'm so thankful he's motivated, I have to admit his motivation is strange... he really wants to be able to do google searches to look up the coloring of his favorite super heros and other characters so he can color them accurately.  He even correctly typed in a name one day when I told him how to spell it, hehe! Here his coloring a color by number that I made.  Then there is a picture of his Valentines written out to his classmates.  And finally, the Valentine heart he colored for me :) 
 
Nicholas has also been doing great.  He has been eating six ounces every four hours or so and is getting up once or twice at night.  He naps well in the morning but then wears us both out in the afternoon, fighting it.  Other than that, he's pretty much an angel.  He smiles a lot which is so cute.  He loves baths, doesn't mind water in his face at all.  Here he is looking particularly adorable, wrapped up in a hooded towel one of our friends made us!

 
 
Here (above) I tried to capture his eye color.  I have been wondering and lots of people keep asking.  At first, they were that steeley blue color and now they are lightening up.  They have a yellowish circle that's a few millimeters wide around the pupil and then they go to a medium/dark blue or green color.  Its kind of how Luke's eyes looked when he was younger (now his are "hazel" but pretty much yellowish grey).  (BM's are green.) On the right eye he has a dark brown stripe at 1 o'clock which is only about 1-2mm wide.  It is distinct and looks pretty cool, but you can only see it well in the natural sunlight by the window.  I cannot get a picture!  I have no idea if or how long they will stay like this, but for now they are just gorgeous.  Plus, his lashes are getting longer and more curly by the day... heart breaker!! 

 
 
They love each other, that's for sure!
Below, they are BOTH on my lap ;)

Life is good. 














No comments:

Post a Comment