Mike took off for Presidents’ Day which the kids had off for and we headed toward my alma mater, and the Cunningham Falls State park in Maryland. We chose the moderate-difficult Cliff trail / “yellow blazes” for the way out. I think it was Jacob who coined the phrase, “trails are for losers,” which we discussed as a funny inside joke, while also reinforcing that trails in state parks like this are awesome and we’re thankful they exist for our pleasure! What he meant, and everyone rallied behind, I think, was that rock-climbing-Pfeiffer’s prefer the off-trail experience. It was cute and they rambunctiously shouted it along the way. As usual, Nick sought the most risky climbs. Everyone burned a lot of calories and worked on their proprioception, that’s for sure! We laughed a lot.
The mentality of team Pfeiffer, a unified group, is something we’ve been working on for months and they happily shouted it for this shot:
I also love how mature Lukas looks in this photo, and I won’t mention who’s holding onto who.
The Falls themselves were a pretty site but with the new ramps and somewhat confined overlooks, they were a little hard to sit and admire. When I was at the Mount we’d scale the rocks alongside the falls and yesterday I had hoped to eat our snack in the rocky creekbed up at the top, but in an effort to obey the new signage we skipped that part.
Then we headed back on the easy trail and finished at the man made beach and pond, which was covered in a 3/4” slushy ice still despite the 60 degree temps we were enjoying. The kids all went barefoot into the water, built sand castles and played on the playground, while Mike and I sat just admiring it all.
No comments:
Post a Comment