We have been wanting a new dog for a little while now. Our cousins, Kyle and Anne, have a pack of dogs and also foster through To Love a Canine Rescue in Malvern, PA. Anne posted an available dog posting on facebook and as I scrolled through, I saw "Rhonda," a 2 year old lab-plott hound mix who I instantly fell in love with. I "tagged" Mike in the post and he agreed that she was the cutest. Immediately, I filled out the online application and by the next day was being interviewed via phone. They also interviewed Jess Ward as a reference and then we were approved, before the week was over. That weekend, we went out to meet this adorable pup, and it seemed like a good match! We brought her home the very same day.
We discussed names the whole way home. Having recently read a dog memoir, A Dogs Life, where the main character (squirrel) has a best friend, Moon, Moon was suggested by Nicholas as nice option. We entertained several others; Cinco (since we got her on Cinco de Mayo), Autumn (like her coat), but then changed Moon to Luna and it felt right!
Luna didn't know her previous name, Rhonda, because she'd been picked up as a stray in Mississippi just a few months prior. When she got to PA, she was found to have heartworms, de-wormed and then fostered. We think she was probably neglected and possibly abused. At first, she was very timid and also not housebroken. However, she was easy to crate and even easier to love. She's 45 pounds, scarcely sheds and rarely barks. Luna and Ruby get along well, and the boys are taking responsibility for feeding her most days!
These pictures were after our first run together. I posted them on Facebook and Aunt Chris said that she thought Luna was thinking, "thank God I found my spirit-human," which I thought was pretty awesome.
She's a beauty and we're so glad she's found her forever furever home!
No comments:
Post a Comment